Did you know that you can turn your Macbook into a wireless access point using the Internet Sharing? In this guide, we will see how to turn your Mac into a WiFi hotspot to connect other devices to the Internet free of charge.
We already learned how you can use your iPhone as a WiFi Hotspot. Turning the iPhone into a real router, you can share the data connection of your phone with other devices. The same, however, can also be done with Mac OS X. Apple makes it easy to share the Internet connection on your Mac with your iPhone, iPad or other Mac through WiFi.
Making your Mac a wireless router is very useful if your Mac is connected to a network via wired Ethernet. In this way, you can take advantage of the connection on your Mac, making it a sort of WiFi hotspot to which you can connect with other devices. Let’s see how.
How to share Internet from a Mac to other computers or devices?
We will guide you through the process of creating a secure wireless access point, from a Mac connected to the Internet to share the connection with other Mac, PC, iOS and Android devices. Let’s see the process step by step below:
1. Wi-Fi hotspot functionality is part of the “Internet Sharing” in Mac OS X. You’ll find it in System Preferences window. Press the menu bar at the top and select System Preferences and tap on Sharing.
2. In the list, select the Internet Sharing. Now you need to select the Internet connection that you want to share with the devices.
3. Now check the box “Wi-Fi” or “AirPort” (the name depends on OS X 10.7 and 10.6).
4. Then tap on “Wi-Fi Options” and the network name, and then tap to enable security / encryption, and then type a WEP key as wireless password. By default, the hotspot will be configured without a password and anyone will be able to connect.
5. Tap “OK” and confirm that you want to start sharing internet.
That’s it. Now the Mac will be shown as a Wi-Fi hotspot for your iPhone, iPad or similar devices. Just connect to it as you do with any other Wi-Fi networks. You can change the display name of your Mac in the same menu Internet Sharing to make it easier for your research.
The network is relatively safe, thanks to the WEP password set if you forget your password just disable security, and then turn to set a new password.
Did you find this article helpful? If so, share it with your social friends through the social buttons. Thank you.